Monday, May 18, 2009

Remembering a Past Love Affair

The other day I was rummaging through some old books that my grandmother left me and ran across her old autograph album. I flipped each page reading the cute messages of by-gone years when grandma was a young girl about fourteen. In the middle of the book I came across a page written by my future grandfather. It not only brought insight into their lives, but touched my heart to feel their love for each other.

Here is what he wrote to her:

To Dora - dated Jan 11, 1907

Shall I tell you of an evening,
When the snow lay on the ground.
When the wintry wind was silent,
And the sky with stars was crowned.
When the parlor looked so pleasant,
And the world to me so bright.
As we sat together dreaming
In the flicking firelight.

Your friend,
Willie Koetter (aka William George Koetterheinrich)

No comments: