Sunday, December 27, 2009

T'was the Day After Christmas



Here's a little poem I had to write after watching all the people at the mall with their new purchases or returns. All I wanted to do was walk the mall for exercise. What I didn't realize is that I would have to fight for a parking spot. Watch out---woman on a mission.

POEM:

T’was the day after Christmas,
And all through the mall,
People did scurry
Not caring at all.

Their eyes were all vacant
As they pushed and they shoved,
Hoping to reach
That front line above.

I in my sweat pants
And sneakers to boot,
I sat on a bench
Oh, what a hoot.

I watched them all hustle
From store to store,
Not caring a mite
As their feet hit the floor.

Sale upon sale
Confronted them now,
Exchange this or that
Sixty percent off, wow.

Packages upon packages
Filled their arms to the limit,
Each vying to meet
The three o’clock in a minute.

As time passed away
And day began to wain,
I can honestly say
What an experience today.

I bought no presents or
Packages or such,
I walked with the crowds
And enjoyed it so much.

As I think back to
All the excitement I saw,
I believe I had more fun
Walking the mall.




Written by Gwyn Ramsey

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN!!! I LOVED THAT POEM!! How do you do that??Just a very talented lady..Karen told me what you are going though, my thoughts are with you. For the first time in my life I had a questionable mammogram,they will look at it again in April,hope everything is ok here. Enjoyed seeing your pic, and let us know how you are doing too. Pat Wright

Renaissance Women said...

You captured the 'frenzy' perfectly. Thank you so much for reminding me why I don't go to the mall,even to walk.
Keep on with the wonderful creativity!

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Yeah, speaking of returning gifts, I have to travel to the nearest big city to return one. Oh well!

Gwyn Ramsey said...

Pat, Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you enjoyed my little poem. Had a great time watching the people rushing about the mall. Couldn't resist writing about it.

Life can throw you a snowball. Either you catch it or dodge. I catch them and throw them back. Don't have time to fool around. I'm on a mission.

Gwyn Ramsey said...

Renaissance Women, The mall can be a dangerous place. Being trampled is something you have to avoid.

Actually, I enjoy going during the Christmas holidays be part of the excitement. I don't need to buy anything, just listen to the hum of voices and the holiday music. Gets me in the mood real quick.

I know, I'm a bit strange, but heck, I'm a writer.

Gwyn Ramsey said...

Julia, when traveling to return that gift, be careful. The weather can be bad, depending on where you live. Thanks for dropping by.

Alice Trego said...

What a wonderful poem, Gwyn! You described the mall frenzy exactly -- exactly why I don't go out the day after Christmas :)

Alice